West Country folk have opinions too.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

When is an apple not an apple?

Regarding one of my previous posts about the Salvation Army, and also in reference to the posts of other bloggers. My current thought is 'Can The Salvation Army really be The Salvation Army if it doesn't have openness and honesty in it's dealings, in fact can the Salvation Army even be Church'.

As a West Wing fan I take great joy in quoting roughly a line from the show. "There are two thing you never want to let anyone see how you make, Laws and Sausages'. Mainly I guess because laws are sometimes made in corrupt ways, and sausages are sometimes full of rubbish. One of the main reasons people try and cover things up is to hide the real truth, maybe also so they can achieve their goals in dubious ways.

For me, two things are key in all Christian work, integrity and relationship. How can a Christian organisation call itself that if it doesn't have both characteristics from the top down. I think leadership really can have a positive and negative impact on those it leads simply by the way it goes about it's business. I think God honours integrity and relationship, and I wonder what he does with when he sees the opposite.

Let me know what you think

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link and the Army's been made up mostly of paper for a while now. A lot of the time I see the Army as proof that God has a sense of humour.

11:08 am

 
Blogger Hoylus said...

In which case it's a pretty sick joke.

5:01 pm

 
Blogger Stevo said...

I think it's a fairly sick reality

6:01 pm

 
Blogger Eleanor Burne-Jones said...

Hope, guys.

We can all advocate for healthy church function in a positive and healthy way, and above all a hopeful way. There are people out there who have spent a lifetime working in the area of church conflict transformation and mediation etc, and they have a load of knowledge about how to help churches become healthier and happier places. No church is perfect, and ours is no different. There is a lot that can be done.

I'm blogging on this, and welcome dialogue with anyone interested. (My email is on my profile.)

Warmest blessings,
Eleanor Burne-Jones, n/TSSF Penzance Corps UK

9:14 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home