West Country folk have opinions too.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Pride and embarrassment

For me this last few months have been great from a sporting perspective. 6 Nations Rugby, Winter Olympics, and now the Commonwealth games. But it's raised an issue for me. I find I have great pride when I hear the national anthem, be it for Britain or England, even for Wales, Scotland or Ireland. But when I hear an athlete thanking God or Jesus for their result I cringe. Why am I proud of an athlete performing for their country, but embarrassed if they perform for their God? It's probably 'cos i'm a bad person.

2 Comments:

Blogger lucy ar said...

yes thou art a naughty saus.
Hehe, no...is it do with the lack of integrety?accept that I guess sports stars aren't really like music stars in that sense- i.e Beyonce praising the lord half nekid etc.
I felt a bit sad after Bono had his "colourful" rant at the awards the other day. Cos, he is a big hero of me and many I think and it smacks of discord between his mouth and his heart. I know its only swearing and we all have a slip but I dont know... so publicly.
Sorry, went off on one a bit. But I dont think your a bad person big bro, if thats a nice thought?

6:06 am

 
Blogger Simon said...

Hey, where have you gone?? no blogging?!

7:01 pm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home